Sunday, July 17, 2005

20th Volume of Urdu Lughath (Dictionary) Released

It seems the Urdu Dictionary Board has released Volume 20 of the dictionary they are compiling. They are halfway through "Noon", I think. This volume covers from "Nashaath" to "Nh. So I guess we will now know precisely what Faiz Saahab was talking about when he said "Chandh kaliyaaN Nishaath kee chun kar..."...or was it Sahir? But I wonder what "Nh" means? Is that just the "Nah", as in No?

I don't want to just steal a story from a news site and post it here, so please read the story on the sites that published them. I will post any other information I can get. For now, I just remember that back when I was in High School (late 80s), a friend of my father's, Professor Ikhlaque Akhtar Hamidi, mentioned contributing to the discussion. I am not even sure whether it was as a formal part of the Urdu Dictionary Board or not. Anyway, here are the stories:

* Story at "PakPositive" that quotes and links to a Gulf Times story.
* Story in Dawn.

آدابAdaab,
فقیر-iiFaqeer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS IS A GREAT NEWS I GUESS MAJLIS SHOULD EXPOSE MORE PEOPLE LIKE SIASAT URDU DAILY EDITOR WHO ARE CORUPT AND WHITE COLLAR CRIMINALS ESPECIALLY KHAN LATEEF KHAN THE MUNSIF DAILY EDITOR WHO ONCE WAS A FAMOUS ROWDY